Monday, May 23, 2011

I Want To Play Lady GaGa in Scrabble

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool." - Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the late great Lester Bangs in Almost Famous - 2000.

The thing I like the most about personal blogging is I can be myself. This is the place where I can tell you how much I dig superheroes, music snobbery, and my anxiety disorder.

I have another aspect of my personality to reveal. My favorite board game is Scrabble. I really really really like Scrabble. A lot. I would watch people play it on television. I like it so much, that getting beat by my wife yesterday 238 points to 231 points didn't upset me because I spelled aqua and adorns . I was happy.

My word nerdom and Scrabble romance started young. My grandparents bought me a reference book set of encyclopedias, dictionary and thesaurus. I would go into my room and look words and subjects up just to entertain myself. This is the first time I telling anyone.

What I enjoy most about Scrabble isn't the accumulation of points, it's the moment(s) you come up with a word that requires thought and planning. Any numbskull add drop and S on skate and hit a triple word score and get 50 points. The best is pushing tiles on the board that spell quixotic. That geek time of the big smile and fist pump combined with the look the opposition give you indicating you belong in a dork asylum is priceless.

My favorite memory of scrabble is right now.

 I'm playing my wife again. She's trying to trash talk to a second straight win while I'm working on spelling zephyr.

*blogger's note* This is my entry into The Red Dress Club's RemembeRED writing assignment. The prompt was this:




Today's song is the first repeat in the history of My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog. Last year, in writing about people listening to each other and being careful of the words they use, I referenced Missing Persons. As you can tell, this song is versatile. Also, Lady Gaga has NOTHING on the great Dale Bozzio. Dale looks like a piece of candy in this video. Here's Missing Persons Words....go die your hair blue.




11 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to play word building games without a word building tool. The words just don't jump out at me from my tile rack. Even with my assistive devices, my husband beats me 49 times out of 50.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have a confession. I have never in my life played scrabble, which is astounding even to me because I am one of the biggest word nerds ever. Maybe I need to pick it up as my new hobby??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god. I haven't heard this song in so long, it was like lighting a candle in a long dark part of my brain.

    Yeah, all I want to play are word games. I like unscrambling word jumbles, I love scrabble and online I play "scrabble blast," so I understand your nerdness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite Christmas gift EVER was an unabridged dictionary from my brother during my 1st year of college. I could barely lift it.
    I play Scrabble on my iPad daily, and reach out for fist-bumps from my husband whenever I score a great word.
    Aqua is awesome. AWESOME.
    Great share.
    Came from TRDC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember having played Scrabble, but I am a word nerd. When I was young I would read dictionaries and diagram sentences for fun, so I understand your lexicon love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Confession: I also love Scrabble and DID watch it on TV when I was little and Chuck Woolery was the host. Don't judge ;)

    The key to winning Scrabble is to play with people that will believe you when you tell them QUZIXTV is an actual word in some foreign country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. note to self: never play scrabble with you :)

    I always got frustrated playing it so it was never a favorite

    Visiting from RDC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. my.

    I think I'm in love.

    Honestly, your blog template earned fifty Awesome points for the half-naked guy and SCRABBLE?

    That's my favorite game in the universe.

    So...after some calculation, you're at 200 Awesome points.

    And I dig your writing style.

    BE FLATTERED.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your affinity for scrabble and that you and your wife play!

    I adore that you shared a few of your words- excellent examples!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scrabble is really really great! I play this when I was young. It really gives you a lot of thoughts in mind to create a great word that would give you a lot of points. Talking about blogging, it really helps you express yourself and be who you are, which you can make yourself anonymous to everyone. I consider blogging as one of my outlets where I can freely say what I want to without barriers, without hesitations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve always enjoyed the game Scrabble. The game requires a mixture of vocabulary, strategy, pattern-recognition and luck.

    ReplyDelete