Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Girlfriend Experience

I drove downtown to a small private hospital to meet the only doctor I knew. The receptionist led me to an exam room.

The tall, blonde pony-tailed physician walked in and said,

"Caleb Runson, you devilish little imp. Had I known you'd walk back into my life, I wouldn't have gotten married."

My new doctor, Ava Pennington was also my girlfriend of 3 years when I was in college.

After x-rays, a physical, blood work, and awkward flirtatious catch-up conversation; she confirmed everything.

Struggling to speak, Ava whispered,

"Dr. Anson Cluber is a reknown heart surgeon, I called his office."

This is another story episode featuring my installment of  @velvetverbosity 's 100 word challenge at http://www.blogger.com/goog_10246083 My last 100 word effort, Toyed was chosen as the winner of last week's challenge. This week's one word prompt is IMP.

The other story episodes are here:
1) synchronicity
2) personality crisis
3) serendipity 6
4) Hot Dog Harbinger
5) Goodbye Stranger
6) House of Irony
7) Connection
8) Dead Man's Party
9) Hope Springs A Turtle
10) Drown
11)  Toyed
12) Fever

There were a lot of ways to go with today's song but I chose one of my favorite Girlfriend songs by the awesome Matthew Sweet. This was one of my favorite early 90s tunes, here's Girlfriend, play it loud.

10 comments:

  1. This could be an interesting side story. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit, Matthew Sweet! Now there's a blast from the past!

    Another stellar piece, Lance.~

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little twist there, with the doctor...great call! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you work so much story into so few words? I'm jealous. But you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good song. GREAT story! Oh I wanna know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice start to the story. Congrats on being chosen for Toyed:-)

    Stop in and give my blog a read at The Voices Within Unleashed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun new character!

    The only thing I'd change is this sentence:
    My new doctor, Ava Pennington was also my ex-girlfriend of 3 years when I was in college.

    I think you mean he and Ava dated for three years in college, but the sentence structure is a little muddy.

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad all my exes are losers - no danger of one of them being my doctor. LOL ;)

    Excellent as always! I love my visits here - your writing voice is so natural.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These little ones are killers. I need more!!!

    hed

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really picking up strength. :)

    ReplyDelete