Saturday, April 23, 2011

I Am The Egg Man

Easter is my second favorite Holiday. It's grossly underrated. Thanksgiving, Halloween (what a joke), and July 4th (I love my country but, come on) and get a lot of publicity but for my cash, Easter is a good runner up to Christmas.

Let's break down the attributes of Easter. The religious significance is pretty awesome, if you're Christian, as I am. Jesus was crucified late in the week, dies on Friday. Then three days later, on Easter Sunday, he rises, does his business and becomes deified. Not bad.

Now, the rest of the holiday measures like this. The candy intake and distribution is equal too if not greater than Halloween. Families gather for lunch or dinner, just like Thanksgiving. The myth master is a large Bunny, that leaves Easter basket for kids containing everything from eggs to ipods gift cards. When you throw in egg hunts and professional sports games like the NBA playoffs, the Stanley Cup hockey games and major league baseball. You have a holiday that only bows only to the King of them all, Christmas.

My family tradition is really interesting. My dad's parents have hosted an easter egg hunt since the sixties. It really took off after their kids - my dad, his brother and sister, started having kids in the seventies. There is a huge lunch, likely featuring the finest strawberry cake you've ever tasted, then the Egg Hunt which is hotly contested, and then some family fellowship.

Tomorrow, Bobina, Tay, Goose, and I (Bug is with her other family this year), will attend church services in the morning, then head over to my grandparents. Later in the afternoon, my mother in law, sister in law and niece will come over to our house for a small egg hunt, and some steaks on the grill.

My family really seems to come together at Christmas and Easter. The religious connotations may have something to do with it, but I have always appreciated those two holidays because it brings my big family, new and old, together.

My next post will be number 200. This blog will have it's 1 year birthday in about two and  a half weeks. Had someone told me I would make 200 posts in a year I would have given them some of my anxiety meds. Post 200 will be another story episode, somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 words. Ava is about to rock Caleb's world, and not in the good way.

Until then, enjoy your family and eat your self silly. I will attempt to devour my weight in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and boiled eggs. Happy Easter.

Today's song was a battle of my own wits. I wanted to use Lose Yourself by Eminem. It features his character from 8 Mile, Rabbit, and it's about determination. Then I realized I had been into the Beatles again and they were ina  tie with Radiohead and Led Zepplin for my second favorite band of all time. With Easter being my second favorite holiday, the Beatles should get a crack at the theme song. Here's John, Paul, George, and Ringo singing about something other than Easter but doing it in a way that little kids would think differently. I am the egg man, coo coo ca choo....I AM THE WALRUS



8 comments:

  1. As an unwashed heathen who married into a Catholic family, I dread Easter.

    Except for three words.

    Cadbury. Mini. Eggs.

    Happy Easter to you, and enjoy those PB Eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss being a kid or having kids in the family to really be able to enjoy Easter. Plus we aren't religious and are a mixed family, so some people go to one place and some another.

    It looks like you and your family are going to have a great Easter! Have a great day.

    hed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we are spending Easter in very similar fashions. I opt for cadbury mini eggs as well only I OD'd on them in early march and the madness has passed thankfully. Hope you have a lovely day with your fam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not kidding when I say I was going to pretty much write the EXACT same thing as CDG. It kind of freaked me out, so pretend I left that comment...

    But I will add that the sports selection is stellar on Easter Sunday between baseball and hockey (never into NBA and I'm already tired of hearing NFL despite no NFL to speak of.) Anyway, I wish you and your family a blessed holiday--and many eggs of both the traditional and PB variety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhhh - a Beatles fix - who knew? Thank you!!! :)

    Easter blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your family knows how to rock Easter. Hope you and yours have a great get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter bro! Hope it was enjoyable.

    I like you, I can't stand the Beatles. (I realized this says alot about me) I wrote a post about them and why once when I first got started...http://chopperpapa.com/?p=58

    Check it out if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated Easter, Lance.~

    I'm a twisted little monkey so I love Halloween, but I can see Easter being superior if I had kittens for whom to hide eggs.

    ReplyDelete