Saturday, May 14, 2011

THOR-oughly Good Movie

I'm a comic book geek. I'm also a superhero dork. The glut of action films, specifically from Marvel Comics, is in my wheelhouse.

The disclaiming paragraph written, it's now imperative that I tell you non geeks and not so dorky why you should go see Thor, The Mighty God of Thunder, currently making an otherwordly amount of cash.

Kenneth Branugh, Emma Thompson's ex husband, the dude who was Hamlet, the arrogant teacher in Harry Potter, and the villain in Wild Wild West, directs the latest Marvel Comics property. He brings a lot of emotional heft and character depth to the project.

Thor is a comic book character taken from Germanic mythology. Wait, I'm losing you.
Thor is played by this guy:
Chris Hemsworth, a 6'5" Australian who talks EXACTLY like Heath Ledger. His voice is uncanny to late actor. Hemsworth gives weight, both in physicality and acting ability. He is Thor. You get it.

Anthony Hopkins plays Thor's dad, King Odin. Natalie Portman, easily the worst character in the film, plays Thor's love interest, astrophysicist, Jane Foster. There's a lot of action, a good amount of humor, and plenty of story to set up sequels, and tie ins to the other Marvel properties, The Avengers, Iron Man, Hulk, and Captain America.

You won't need to be as versed in the comic books as I. There's plenty of exposition to lead you through the Gods, realms, villains, supporting characters - great work by the females Jaime Alexander as Sif,

 Thor's childhood female warrior pal, and Kat dennings, Jane Foster(Portman)'s wise cracking scientist friend.

I am was pleasantly surprised by how it all worked. I saw it in 3D and usually, anything that gives me a headache, I bash. This, I gave a pass to. It's that good.

Oh, comic book nerds, I have this to tell you. There's a cameo by a Marvel comics character. He's played by The Hurt Locker's Jeremy Renner. It's a bow (all pun intended) to a future film. Then, stay around for the post credits scene where Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury shows up. The plot twist will make you happy.

The last good piece of news is also today's song. Foo Fighters contributed their new song, Walk. When Thor can't get the hammer out of the desert, Stellan Skaargard's doctor character, Erik Silvig, takes Thor to a bar for boilermakers, and Foo Fighter's provide the sound.



10 comments:

  1. I had no desire to see this, till I read your awesome review here. I like any blogger who calls himself a nerd or geek in the first sentences! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. I had no desire to see it. Now I just might.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hiss at superhero movies, even if it's unfair of me to do so. I've seen too many of them! However, I have been hearing that this one's good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty much agree with you. I was surprised at how good the movie was, given how horrible it could have been. (Somewhat obscure Marvel character, based on Stan Lee's rudimentary grasp of mythology.)

    What I like about the Marvel movies is that they make the hero interesting, rather than only the villains. They crammed a lot into an intro movie bag, but I thought it was a lot of fun.

    Bring on Captain America. And if you're in Chicago at the right time, I say a GL screening is in high order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what everyone's talkin about. wld go see it nxt week hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so behind on my Marvel Movies.. that being said, I might catch this one. I can't wait for Deadpool myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to reading your TLC article about this.~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thor wasn't part of my list that needs to be seen this year, yet my cousins invited me to watch it with them. The movie looks good enough though I don't really know what the story was like on comics.

    Buy Aion Account

    ReplyDelete
  9. The movie is good and Chris is a great actor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will say to the world to celebrate this great testimony with me, i never believe i can ever get my ex lover back one day. My story and thanksgiving goes to Dr kuta When my lover left me i never thought that i will be able to get he back after all he has put me through, But i am so happy that after the interference of Dr kuta i was able to get my lover back after 24 hours and i am proud to say that who ever need help in getting back his/her lover should contact Dr kuta on his email: drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com this is why i also want to let everyone who is in need of help out there to also seek help from him so he can help you also. email him via:drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com or WHATSAPP his Hot line: +2347054547814

    ReplyDelete