Friday, February 11, 2011

Another Gear

"I don't want to do this," she said to me, terrified. "Juliet, you have to know how to drive to get your license. You'll be fine, I'm with you," I assured her, with minimum confidence. Her tiny figure sat frozen, white knuckling the steering wheel. "Juliet, put your right foot on the pedal to your left, that engages the break." She glared at me and barked, "Engages? What does that mean? Talk normal!" I smiled, I remembered my fear at 15 years old driving. "Want to go home, sweetheart?" I asked. Juliet relented "No, I'll do it." Now, I was scared.

*bloggers note* - This is my entry for @velvetverbosity 's weekly 100 word challenge at http://www.velvetverbosity.com/ . The one word prompt is ENGAGES. My teenage daughter just turned 15 and we are going through the process of her studying for the learner's permit test. She's a little scared to drive.  Thanks for reading. Real life usually gives the finest inspiration.

13 comments:

  1. I am not looking forward to that part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me either, Cindy, me either....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there. done that. three times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see we were on the same wave length, Lance. :) She'll make it through - and so will you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made it through two times. Great write, cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the fear of learning how to drive - it seemed to significant and important and dangerous.

    Looking back, I should possibly try and still think of driving that seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  7. o.k. Well good luck with this next week when she has her learners license.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the process now of teaching our youngest the joys of driving a straight shift. Apparently I don't know all the right verbiage. I've been trying to tell him how to 'engage' reverse. His dad tells him to 'feather the clutch' and he's a genius. Meh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a far better writer than I am....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh...you've been tagged

    :
    http://onesmarmymama.blogspot.com/2011/02/day.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brings back memories of my experiences with my dad. I don't have the patience for teaching anyone else to drive..leave that to hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really interesting that two of you wrote on the same topic from this prompt. Sometimes the prompt is such that I expect certain obvious similarities, but to have two of you write on the first driving lesson from "engages". Hmmm. Didn't expect that. :)

    ReplyDelete